Friday, February 27, 2009

Intro-7. WHAT PATIENTS AND CARE-TAKERS NEED TO HEAR

So what words are there to express interest and concern for the patient? Here are a few ideas.
(1). “I’m sorry to hear that, when did you first discover it was cancer.” This starts a dialog where the patient can relax and get some things off their chest.
(2). “I can understand your stress. My sister/brother/etc. suffered from cancer/stroke/limb-loss and we managed it pretty well but certainly had our down days.” This assures the patient that there’s a basis for one’s sympathy.
(3). Finally, consider this. “You know, I have never experienced diseases like that in my family, but I can imagine there will be times when you’re struggling and don’t know who to talk to. And it sure would make me happy if you just picked up the phone (or dropped me an email) saying that you just want to talk. I’ll be most happy to listen. We can take a walk or whatever."

Got any other ideas? I’m open to your thoughts."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's something you should add, and that is the fine art of listening. As a registered nurse, in the early part of my career I found mysefl talking a lot. I was giving directions to patients and explanations to the family an so forth. But I soon learned that I was not understanding patients' needs and feelings. By asking and simply listening a lot, I became more effective. Maybe this applies to friends and Family too.

Lori Chisolm

Anonymous said...

There is no possible way that most(not all) people have the full understading of what it is the patient is experiencing. We have this notion of Quality time spent (using high impact words, flowers, candy)will make the difference, but maybe frequent time spent just being there with eyes and ears open to be available to listen, hug, cry with,humor each other, prayer etc. and allowing God to work thru us is how life should be carried on.
Steve Kowalski

Anonymous said...

I appreciate it when friends and family ask details about the experience and the treatment-which drugs, how long, when does it begin . Their interest and ability to listen reinforces that they are somehow part of this effort and we are not alone. Telling the story is helpful and a way to relieve the stress.
Carol F.